About the job
We are currently hiring P3 (mid-level), P4 (senior), and P5 (staff) software engineers (sorry entry-level and junior engineers… your time will come next year! Please connect with us on LinkedIn).Diversity, Equity, and InclusionAwell is fully committed to ensuring fair and equal treatment of all employees, job applicants, customers and potential customers:
- We expect all people to have an equal opportunity for employment and advancement on the basis of ability, necessary qualifications and fitness for work irrespective of sex, age, gender reassignment, disability, marital status, civil partnership, sexual orientation, color, race, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin. As an equal opportunities employer, we recognize that diversity is a positive attribute and we understand and welcome the differences that a diverse culture brings.
- We value openness, accessibility, fairness and transparency.
- We will avoid unlawful discrimination in all areas of employment, including recruitment, promotion, training, discipline, redundancy and pay and benefits.
- Employees who become disabled will be given every reasonable and practicable consideration and opportunity to help them remain in employment.
IntroductionAwell is a technology company active in healthcare. We exist because we want to have a positive impact on the lives of patients & care teams. Don’t trust our word for it, have a look at the Awell Handbook and find out for yourself.To Get You Going
- Our mission
- Company vision and Product vision
We are a team of 15 people, some of us are based in Brussels (Belgium), others across Europe, Asia, and the USA. We are backed by LocalGlobe, Moonfire, and others. We are looking for open-minded people who are committed to continuously improving themselves and the world around them. Our culture is one of responsibility, high productivity, and genuine feedback.About The RoleAs a Software Engineer, you will be an early member of our engineering team, helping us to build the best CareOps platform in the world. Our platform is burgeoning and we are continually bringing on new customers, which means some projects will be broad in scope and you will be given lots of latitude, while other projects will be optimizations measured in ms.You’ll be working with a world-class product development team and many times directly with customers who want to change healthcare for the better. We believe in cross-functional & empowered teams, so together with product and design you will solve problems and not just execute tasks that were given to you. You will not be a “ticket-taker.” You’ll work as part of a team of 3 or 4 engineers, product, and design.As an early member of the team, you will have an opportunity to shape our culture, and to grow as Awell grows. We expect you’ll learn a lot working here. You’ll take part in our bi-weekly SODOTO sessions (“see one, do one, teach one”) and knowledge-share with teammates; you’ll hack away at problems during one of our offsites; you’ll perform discovery on new features; you’ll learn about Awell’s customers and the problems they’re looking to solve.Our goal is that when you decide to move on from your journey with Awell, you’ll look back fondly at your time knowing it was very well spent, you’ll have made some great colleagues and/or friends, and you’ll feel a drive to “pay it forward” and coach others so they can also find fulfillment in their work the way you did.Finally, As a Software Engineer, There Might Be Some Additional Pages In The Awell Handbook That Might Be Of Interest To You
- Engineering culture @ Awell
- Product principles
- Our take on roadmaps
- Ride the knife’s edge of scalability, feature-completeness, and speed in one of our product verticals
- Participate thoughtfully in group discussions and with the respect and trust we expect you’ll receive
- Provide honest feedback and mentorship to teammates in an effort to help them grow
- Bring curiosity to technical discovery
- Do your best to embody Awell’s values…
- …but we all fall sometimes, so help to lift up your team and search for learning experiences when you reach one of your many inevitable failures
- Write awesome, easy-to-understand code, perform code review for peers, be an advocate for pair programming, and look for the 🛹
- Communicate clearly and often
- What we do at Awell, our company values, and how we roll resonate with you.
- You have a strong sense of ownership & autonomy.
- You are a team player and understand that cross-functional teams yield superior results over individual efforts.
- You love solving hard problems and are not afraid of a challenge because healthcare is all about solving hard problems.
- You are a clear communicator, both written and verbal.
- Cloud provider: GCP
- Deployment: Kubernetes/Helm/Terraform
- Language / runtime: Typescript/NodeJS
- API: GraphQL
- Datastores: ArangoDB, Mongo, Redis
- Microservices framework: Moleculer
- Message brokers: NATS, Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, Redis
- Data and logging: Elastic, Logstash, Kibana
- Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry, Datadog
Benefits & Logistics
- Full-time employment
- Remote (the early team resides in Brussels, Belgium)
- Attractive and fair compensation (dependeing on location and seniority)
- Learning stipend
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible vacation policy
Interview process” It Consists OfGoing through interviews at a bunch of companies can be exhausting & stressful. We believe our interview process strikes a nice balance between “hire slowly” and “move quickly.
- A 25-minute screening;
- A short (250-word) written interview, usually followed by a couple back-and-forth emails;
- A 45-60 minute technical interview (problem-solving, not “leet-code”)
- Our “virtual onsite” (2 panel interviews and an interview with someone from the leadership team)
- Final interview with our CEO
To Give You a Couple Of Statistics (these May Change)In total, it’s about 6 hours of interview time. Including the additional time you may take reviewing our company materials, or those of our competitors, that could be 8-10 hours of your time.
- About one out of every four people who have participated in our virtual onsite have joined our team
- About half of the folks who have spoken with our CEO have joined our team
We assign a very high value to the time we put into our interview process, and we look forward to meeting you. Thank you for your time and consideration!Hiring ManagerJonathan Belangerhttps://linkedin.com/in/jbbelanger